Monday, March 9, 2015

Back to Africa!

Well here we go - I'm about to head back to Kenya for the first time since 2012, and I can't wait to see everyone and see how everything's going! So much has happened since our last trip! Just a few highlights: Celebration Church has been founded in Siaya by Pastor Sylvester and is spreading the Gospel in a totally new mission field. The Connect With a Child orphan village has opened up and operates 5 homes for orphans and widows including Celebration House and Casa de Giraffe thanks to the support of CBC in Rio Rancho. The Centre in Nairobi is finished and now houses a church, school, administrative offices, and a home for some of the Nairobi orphans. And the list goes on and on!

As I head to Kenya, I have a long list of things I want to see and people I want to talk to. This is Kenya, though, so I know whatever happens will turn out to be very different than what I have planned, and that is ok. Actually it's more than ok, it's God's amazing way of doing things!

I hope you'll follow me and read about my experiences and look at the pictures and let God speak to you through His work in Kenya. As you do, though, I have one request: When you see the pictures of the people there, please don't just sit there feeling sorry for them and their poverty. Instead, realize that every person you see is someone made in God's image, with the potential to be an amazing reflection of His glory. Every person you see is someone born with intelligence, beauty, grace, and eternal worth.

Our goal in this and every mission is much greater and deeper than simply poverty alleviation or "human development." It is rather to demonstrate to every person we encounter that God loves them and wants to see them full of joy and abundant life. Everything we do, whether drilling wells, providing food, supporting education, or anything else, is to enable those on the receiving end to realize that they are loved, and that God has offered them a hope that will change their life on earth and for eternity! With that in mind, pray that in every step and with every word I'll be a Spirit-empowered witness of the hope found in Christ, and rejoice with me that He is bringing thousands of people to Himself through the faithfulness of His children. Love you all and can't wait for you to experience the amazingness of our God with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment