Monday, March 16, 2015

From Siaya

I'm sitting at an internet cafe in the dusty town of Siaya, a town about 30 minutes' drive from where we're staying that is comprised of a few blocks of shops, banks, and restaurants. Despite the definite backwater feel of the town, it's not at all stagnant. I thought this part of Kenya was the land where nothing ever changes, but I guess I was wrong about that - the Chinese have funded work on a new road connecting Nairobi to Kampala, Uganda, and Siaya sits right along the road, as do Tom's family's village home, the Orphan Village, and the under-construction high school. Celebration Church is in the area too, a little further from the main road. I've gotten to visit all of these projects and I'm so excited to bring back a report! Here are a few quick highlights:

The Orphan Village is a great place. It feels safe, joyful, and welcoming. The 30 kids living there clearly identify with their family groups and look out for each other like brothers and sisters should. They were also respectful towards me when I came - I felt they really saw me as a person, rather than just a bringer-of-stuff which has been my experience in missions at times in the past. Look forward to spending a lot more time there today and tomorrow to get to know the kids on a more personal level.

Celebration Church is an exuberant little community of believers in the Sidundo district. About 65 adults packed into service yesterday in the tin-roofed mud hut where they meet, some walking 3-4 miles to get there. The church owns about 2 acres of land and has a vision for the campus to grow and accommodate more people (the mud hut by western standards would max out at about 40 people). The a capella African worship was so joyful it made me cry...I so wish that worshipers in the west would rediscover the passion and joy in worship that our African brothers display!

The high school project is really beautiful in its scope and vision. The campus is currently just over 5 acres, with neighboring properties slated for purchase soon. The first classroom building is underway with hopes that classes can start next January when the first large group of sponsored children is ready for school. There is a lot to be done, but the vision for what this high school will become is great - will write and share more on that soon; this is a life-changer.

Thanks all for your prayers and support - you all the world to me! For all the amazingness that's going on, things can be slow and frustrating at times in the village so prayers for clear vision, for patience, and for God to guide our path during these next few days would be super appreciated. Can't wait to tell you all more about how God is changing these kids and this country!

No comments:

Post a Comment