Sunday, June 10, 2012

Back in Nairobi

Kisumu to Nairobi.  When you next travel  between Kisumu and Nairobi, you should know that there are two roads you can take - a good one and a bad one. We took the good one on our return from the village.  Driving down the good road, there are several times when I think I should wake Tom, since the driver has apparently turned off of any discernible road. Overall, the good road is so bad that I would think "if this is the good road, I would hate to see the bad road"; except that we took the bad road on the trip out. They are right - the good road is much better .  We slow to a crawl every few hundred yards to go over speed  bunps, which reassures me that we have not left the road after all. Apparently there must be a law in Kenya that any track that might possibly be traversed  by a motor vehicle must be liberally supplied with speed bumps. No matter how bad the road (or how good, even highways have them), the speed bumps are always there, in pristine condition. I wonder if the machine used to maintain the speed bumps is a special purpose machine, or could it be used to maintain the roads if the bumps did not require so much maintenance? According to Jeff Foxworthy, you might be a redneck if directions to your house include "turn of the paved road." I guess all of Kisumu, including its renowned university and new airport, qualify as redneck.  I do have to compliment our driver. He has guided the bus through tiny jungle tracks, and over these roads, more gently and with significantly more success, than I would have thought possible. I am writing this while we are on the road, and will try to post when we reach Nairobi. So, if you are reading this, we made it to Nairobi. Thanks to all of you who have been praying for us. Time to shift prayers to Dave and Zach, since the schedule calls for them to preach at Victory Center, probably less than an hour after getting off the all night bus adventure. Thankful it's not me, since my voice has been lost to the ash, dust, diesel fumes, and smoke from wood and trash fires. Praying for a quick recovery! Gerald

2 comments:

  1. I'm with Gerald. Whatever that driver was paid was not enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats crazy !!! no matter how well you have described this i know its much worse than that.. i cant imagine !! im glad you all made it there and back safe... ish :D praying !! kelly

    ReplyDelete