Saturday, June 9, 2012

I know when I get home, people will ask, "How was Africa?" What to say? Africa is a great collision of beauty and brokenness. She stands with her arms open wide and a hand held out. Time has little meaning, except, as Gerald put it, as some kind of superlative. I've had to let go of much, trusting God that we are doing good for His kingdom. I am teaching and I am learning. The people have found their way into my heart, and yet, in some ways, I see the distance greater now than ever. Yet, we are here, and can come again. How much would God have is accept and how much should we speak to issues? As even the cheers, clapping, and shouts of "Amen" as we taught show a willingness to change; an interest in the church being different, making a difference, and leading the way. As I stand in this beautiful place, on the shore of Lake Victoria, feeling the cool breeze and surrounded by grazing goats, cows, and chickens, I am torn between compassion and frustration. A woman's question about what to do when she finds herself as a second wife when she didn't know her husband was already married; a pastor's plea for more training; another's sad wonderings about whether his preaching is inadequate and how could I help him... and the list goes on. It has been good work. I pray the resources we leave behind will be of value. The prayers we lift up certainly will be.

1 comment:

  1. wow.. its all i seem to keep saying.. sorry.. but every post from all of you is deserving of wow.. miss you guys !! praying :) kelly

    ReplyDelete