Monday, June 4, 2012

Kenyan Kiddos


For me, Kenya so far has been about the 180 kids at the orphanage. They’re such beautiful blessings! I had a really difficult adjustment after spending time with them on the first day. I have a son whom we adopted from Ethiopia. These wee ones have the same flat, almost lifeless look in their eyes as he did when we brought him home. This stirs my emotions because a) it brings back memories of that difficult time, b) it makes me realize how far he’s come, because his eyes now shine with joy, c) it breaks me because I know that a majority of these children will never receive the type of love from a parent that fills them up from the inside. That’s why what we’re doing is so important. We’re teaching them about our Creator, the only one who can fill that hole in their hearts.

Everything else has been quite the experience, too. I LOVE all of the dancing! The music is so joyful and everyone completely gets into it. Yes, even these three men I’m traveling with. They’ve been hilariously entertaining got some moves. Church on Sunday was great, the crusades are awesome, the slums are full of beautiful people, the preaching and teaching has been fantastic. Blech. Sounds like I’m gushing, but I’m not. It’s just truth, peeps. There's a lot of heartache mixed in, too.

Tomorrow, we head to the village. I’m excited about this part. The second water well for my group, h2o (hydration 2 others), is supposed to be drilled while we’re there. You can read more about us at hydration2others.blogspot.com. My dad visited Siaya in January and t’will be cool to meet all of the people and see the sites that he’s talked about.
Alas, I must pass the computer off to another team member. Let it be duly noted that I blogged without being coerced by Dave, like he threatened in his post....


1 comment:

  1. thx angie for your post !! i so much enjoy reading them :) i think my favorite part would be the kiddos !! my heart melts for them :) i cant wait for you all to come home and hear all the stories and see the pics.. i cant imagine being there with pastor and gerald :) so funny !! miss you and praying continuously for each of you :) kelly

    ReplyDelete