Friday, June 1, 2012


After a few days here, I continue to be amazed at what God is doing. It is hard to believe that we have been gone this long. God is providing in every way, and for that we are so grateful. For every challenge, He has an answer. I am not sure where most of the people are spiritually, but I am sadly amazed at how eager they are to show up. What I mean is that I am grateful they want to show up, but wonder at how easily different things keep us in America from availing ourselves of every opportunity for spiritual growth. I think of the crowds who flocked to Jesus, or the thousands who responded in the book of Acts, and I am saddened that we are so busy and distracted that we miss so many opportunities. The people here have shown up and listened for hours. We’ve had to turn people away. Some sat and listened to Gerald and me for six hours on Friday. That is so humbling. Their questions are great; thoughtful questions that they are eager to ask of those who are supposed to know answers.  Thank you for your prayers, as we are strengthened and God brings to mind the words that we need in the moment.

A few other notes…. What can be said about the worship? WOW! Many back home would be uncomfortable with it, but it is so joyful, expressive, celebrative, and heartfelt. I continue to be impressed by Tom, the boldness he has for the vision God has given him, and the great people God has surrounded him with. I’m not sure what is more moving for me, the pleading eyes of the children, longing for us to notice them, to touch them and talk to them, or the earnest searching of the church leaders, who have a great passion for God, but limited opportunities for training. Well, I’ve learned one thing, they like circles in Kenya!

Today, we do visitation in the slum and then have the crusade. It will be a day of hope and good news. Praise God as we get to be the instruments of His grace. At the end of the day, we will hopefully be able to get on and share the experience with you. As I said on facebook, the assault on my senses in only outpaced by the assault on my heart. We remember that we can't do everything, but we can do something. May God give everyone reading this the sense of purpose and opportunity for serving God that we feel this day.

1 comment:

  1. this post made me smile all over !! i laughed about them liking circles in Kenya !!! the circles have made it all the was around the world !! Praying we stop missing all the opportunities that God gives us and act on them !! thanks for the reminder of not being able to everything but we need to do something :D THANK YOU PASTOR !!! kelly

    ReplyDelete